Why is my hair smelly? I hear this often from so many clients, there are the obvious reasons such as not washing your hair enough as well as not rinsing well. But there is more to a smelly scalp & hair, many people have fungus related scalp issues that should be addressed by a dermatologist. Use these tips for a smelly scalp, if your hair is excessively oily or for deep cleaning.
1) A mix of 1 cup water with 1 tablespoon baking soda, apply to wet hair and work into scalp. Wash and condition.
2) Apple cider vinegar rinse. Mix 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, wash your hair, rinse, towel dry and apply the mixture to scalp and hair. No need to rinse, your hair will be shiny!
3) Natural honey treatment. Wash hair, emulsify a few tablespoons of honey in your palm and work through scalp, shampoo & condition. Honey is a natural humectant with anti-bacterial properties lead to healthy hair growth
4) Water & Lemon Juice. Mix 1/2 cup water with 1 squeezed lemon massage into scalp and wash.
If your hair is just plain ole smelly, be sure to:
1) Not over wash which will strip your hair of natural oils and lead to dandruff.
2) Do not over condition! Conditioner applied to your scalp will clog hair follicles leading to an over product of sebum. Too much conditioner will eventually leave your locks dull and dry hair.
3) Do not over use styling products such as hair spray, gels and alcohol based mousse they will trap odor.
4) Do not over use hair oils and silicone based shine/detangling products. Both can cause over production of sebum, especially silicone products that are non water soluble. These products coat your scalp which can lead to smelly odors.
5) Do not scratch or touch your hair too much! You are assisting in oil production, spreading oil around your scalp and making the situation worse.
6) Wash wisely - when you feel your scalp is itchy - wash it!
1) Dry shampoos, but only when your hair is dirty! Do not over use since this can also clog hair follicles.
2) Hair Fragrance, sparingly! My favorite is Amika 001 Hair Fragrance it is light weight, not too much alcohol and has a subtle soft smell.
3) A light mist of your favorite perfume over your head.
4) Sleep with a hair wrap, pony or braid as to not spread natural oil.